Monday, October 25, 2010

Fast, Fit or Fun?

October 25th Reading

I have been concerned about a silly question that I was asked when registering for the annual Turkey Trot this past week. The Turkey Trot is a 10k (6mile) race in downtown Detroit, thanksgiving morning. My family all takes part in this event. However this is the first year they asked the question are you FAST, FIT or FUN. When you register you will receive a numbered bib on race day and a color according to one of the three categories. The categories are based on your running pace so if you're FAST you run about 7 minute miles, FIT is 7-10 min miles and FUN is 10 minute miles and over.

I struggle because I fall under FUN and I want to be FIT!
I run about 10 minute or 11 minute miles, especially in a 6 mile run. Well all week long this has bothered and concerned me. I have a bit of a competitive attitude especially when the rest of my family including my `13 year old son all registered under FIT! I registered everyone but myself for right now because I am determined to push myself in the next 5 weeks and train to run with a faster pace. I will wear the bib that says FIT and not FUN! I know this is so silly but I want to be FIT!

I downloaded a personal trainer this past week for my I pod that will help me run a 10k at a great pace!- It is a 8 week training period however I only have 5 weeks left so I have to skip the first 3 training weeks and go directly to week 3-6 this morning!  I have ran this particular race for several years and never cared about my pace until they came out with the TITLES. This really struck me and made me decide to up my performance and get more serious! I want to be FIT!

Today I did the daily reading and found an amazing comparison. Just as this race has labels of Fast, Fit and Fun. I believe we as humans will all fall under a category with God on judgment day. Some of us are running the race of faith under FAST, meaning they are doing all the requirements and traditions as they move through life at a fast pace. Others are FIT, they truly have crossed the line of faith and have been saved walking in a real relationship with Jesus. But Most live under FUN, claiming to know Jesus but live life the way they want with no concern about their performance or real heart condition.

The end of the race and the return of Jesus is coming soon. I believe we all will face a day in which we stand before God with a certain colored bib on, if I may say.... In the light of this fact I want to draw attention to a verse from today's reading..
Jeremiah 8:20, the verse says...
"THE HARVEST HAS PASSED
THE SUMMER HAS ENDED
AND WE ARE NOT SAVED"

This is the conclusion of these passages. Jeremiah, otherwise known as the "weeping prophet" was hurt over Israels spiritual state. Jeremiah knew Gods judgment would consume them. When summer is ended, the crops have been raised and the harvest taken in. There is no more grain to combine, no more corn to husk, the first frost has come and there are no more tomatoes to pick! The garden is bare. Whatever seeds didn't sprout up, aren't going to. The time is at hand. A time will come when the doors of heaven will shut and many will stand on the other side crying to the Lord but the opportunity is gone.

NOT SAVED

These are words of lost opportunity...

I remember a time that these words seemed so foreign to me and a bit religious. But I decided to chase after an opportunity that presented itself in a season in my life and now I understand that being saved is about being FIT spiritually and running the race with a different pace full of purpose.

In today's reading we have a picture of Israel, which is to act like a picture of us. They were in captivity because of their sin. Sin is rebellion towards God or just simply to busy to FIT him in. We are able to sow seed of success, raise a cute family, go to work every morning, earn a living, go into old age, have a retirement, have grandchildren. Doing everything but no concern about your soul being FIT spiritually. What will it look like the day you cross the finish line. Whether you know it or not we are all running in a race.

I wish my blog today was a floury, puffy-up pastry type of writing but as I sit and actually see the summer come to an end an the harvest almost gone the question remains standing this morning...


ARE YOU SAVED?     

Are you concerned about your race and crossing the line of faith?

Have you thought about where you will wake up in eternity?

Have you passed up opportunities through the seasons cycles?

We do not want to be concerned when it's to late. My deepest concern this morning after the reading is for those that are not concerned and when the summer past and harvest ends and you are not saved. A time will come when the cycles of the seasons of life will be done because this life on earth will be over. Jesus has returned!

Get this.... WE DO NOT HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO END UP IN HELL we do not have to lift a finger or have any concerns.

God today is still pursuing and presenting opportunities till the day of salvation draws to a close, when the Lord comes. Friend, there may be NO hope then but there's hope now. You can't go back in time to your opportunities but you can take them now!

What is your destiny? We all have a day of opportunity but all our spiritual summers will pass and harvests will come to an end. Are you saved my friend?

Lord Jesus, I know you died for me and I put my trust in you. I turn from my Independence and turn to you. Save me and make me your own. In the name of the savior I ask, AMEN.

Remember, it is not the prayer that saves you but the relationship you are pursuing.

How do you want to run your race? Just as I went to register this past week for my upcoming race, It was all in the way the opportunity presented itself that made me concerned in how I was going to run this race. I am making a choice to run FIT.

Did you make any choices today through this divine opportunity?

Love ya friends!