Wednesday, September 22, 2010

DEAD FLIES IN SWEET PERFUME

September 22nd Reading

Before I dive into this hysterical story I want you to know I received full permission from my son Benjamin to post this. I knew this morning after I did my bible reading for today that God wanted me to share this with you.

School started back about two weeks ago for my three children, and for those just joining me, I have shared in past posts that this has been a huge transition time for the entire family because we just recently moved and we are all experiencing different degrees of change.

My son, Benjamin, was going to be starting a brand new school. He is 13, and going into 8th grade so this is a BIG DEAL! Social life is top priority and he was about to embark on all new friendships! First Impressions are important.

Well he is 13 and of course the body is doing its CHANGE thing, He hinted to me that he would like to get rid of the "fuzz" on the upper lip before school starts tomorrow. Yes friends, he asked me the big question..."can I shave this mom?" well, this is where I thought I was about to give him the best mom wisdom ever!

I explained that his skin was so tender yet and shaving may not be the safest route. I suggested getting it waxed! Ben went on to ask if I was absolutely sure about this? Ben has established a pretty good trust relationship with me and He trusted my WISDOM.

We decided to go to the nearest salon and get the quick fix. However, when we walked up to the door we noticed a row of girls his age all getting their back to school pedies! He looked at me and said "I am NOT going into that place!" I gave him my mom wisdom again and said "I agree."

We then hit the local Walgreen's and purchased a kit that removes hair instantly and pain free. School started tomorrow so I suggested he did it now and the little redness would be gone by the morning. Ben asked me one final time...."Should I just shave mom?"  I said, "No your skin is too young!" Again he trusted me. My husband still laughs today when he thinks about what I told him "skin to young?"

Well let me tell ya folks he was not liking me Monday morning. First day of school and he looked like he drank RED POP!  He was having a heart attack before my very eyes! He said "Mom I trusted you and now I look stupid!" I had tears in my eyes and felt like putting some dust over me that would make me escape the reality of this situation! I have NEVER let my son down for the most part in life! This was going to be a BAD WEEK!

I promised Ben that I had some magic make up called bare Minerals. This stuff is the best and I begged him to trust me. I told him it would tone down the red. Ben humbled himself in front of me and said "Just get it over with and put it on" He is not a fan of wearing make up!  LOL

The week went on and the redness slowly went away and the skin began to heal. His upper lip was so burnt that I then came to the conclusion that shaving would have been wiser!

Today I got up to read the daily reading and I laughed when I read this verse.

Ecclesiastes 10:1 "Dead flies putrefy the perfumer's ointment, And cause it to give off a foul odor; so does a little folly to one respected for wisdom and honor."

The presence of a dead fly in perfume will turn its sweet smell to a stinky odor. In the same way ONE FOOLISH DEED can ruin a persons reputation. It takes years to establish a good reputation and that reputation can be destroyed in a moment- Rebuilding that reputation will be a bit harder the second time around.

Ben has always trusted my advice and the outcome always ended up being perfect for him. The advice I gave him for his lip, left my reputation to have a stinking savor. It definitely did not turn out like the box promised.

Removes hair instantly and pain free!  I think not!

This negative occurrence produced a disagreeable effect which put the presence of dead flies in the middle of our sweet relationship!

It is now three weeks later and our relationship is just fine "THANK YOU JESUS, EXTRA GRACE WAS REQUIRED", we laugh at this story together now. However, this is the best part, last night I heard Ben ask his dad if he would help him shave. I listened to both of them behind the bathroom door and chuckled while thinking to myself... this is how "it should" have been!

Ben is adjusting well in school these days. That first week I prayed for the spirit of bravery, courage and extra favor over him. That was the least I could do. I know my prayers worked.

The possibility of failure is always present. Wisdom involves using brains and I guess my brain was off that day! The lesson I was reminded of in this verse is that we can have a good reputation, but one mistake or foolish deed can bring a horrible smell to something sweet.

Ask God to help you daily in all you see, say and do. Ask for knowledge, wisdom and discernment.


Blessings friends!