Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Dry Bones

November 30th Reading




I will admit that I read the first part of our reading today several times (Ezekiel 37: 1-14). I read straight through, then went back and read it again. Then, I read along with the notes in my study Bible the third time. I realize that God is talking about his people who have fallen and He is giving the good news that He is going to restore Israel. Each time I read though, I had an image in my mind of myself and the people I know.

The hand of the LORD was on me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the LORD and set me in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones. He led me back and forth among them, and I saw a great many bones on the floor of the valley, bones that were very dry. He asked me, “Son of man, can these bones live?”
  
I said, “Sovereign LORD, you alone know.”

At one time, I was the dry and lifeless bones laying in the valley. Before I gave myself completely to Jesus, my life was a skeleton of what it could be. I worked very hard on my own trying to achieve joy, happiness and success. But, there seemed to be more struggle than ease, more failure than triumph.

Then he said to me, “Prophesy to these bones and say to them, ‘Dry bones, hear the word of the LORD! This is what the Sovereign LORD says to these bones: I will make breath enter you, and you will come to life. I will attach tendons to you and make flesh come upon you and cover you with skin; I will put breath in you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the LORD.’”
I was working on my own and then I found God. He promised me life and a better way.  I didn’t have to do things through my own strength, I could rely on Him.

So I prophesied as I was commanded. And as I was prophesying, there was a noise, a rattling sound, and the bones came together, bone to bone. I looked, and tendons and flesh appeared on them and skin covered them, but there was no breath in them.
I wasn’t completely reliant on Him. There were struggles I tried to face on my own. I didn’t seek Him first, my dependence upon Him was more of an afterthought. But He wasn’t done with me yet. He was still piecing me together bit by bit.

Then he said to me, “Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to it, ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Come, breath, from the four winds and breathe into these slain, that they may live.’” So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood up on their feet—a vast army.
I began to rely on the Holy Spirit. It had been there all along, I just didn’t know the power that was within me. As I became more confident in Him and His character, my life started to align with His plan.
I am not a complete person yet. I am a work in progress. He has given me exactly what I need for right now, but I know there is more ahead.
Where do you see yourself? Are you the pile of bones? The skeleton? The body? The life ready for living?
What about the people you know? Where do they fit into this evolving structure?
I know a few people that would fit into each of the categories. It is okay to be at different stages. No matter where you are, you can help others around you. You can tell them about Jesus and how your life has changed since you met Him. You can live a life that is a good example for others. You can read and learn and pass on your knowledge. You can pray for all of them.
He asked me, “Son of man, can these bones live?”
  
I said, “Sovereign LORD, you alone know.”

Thank you Lord, for picking me out of the valley of bones and for forming me and giving me life. I am nothing without you. I’m sorry for the times that I try to do things out of my own strength. Thank you for your forgiveness and for your persistence in teaching me your way. Please open my ears to the voice of the Holy Spirit, so that I can learn more and so that I can lead others to Jesus. Amen.

Hugs,
Lynnette