Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A BOLD FRIEND

Before I forget... I want to thank my new friend Lynnette for Her post yesterday. It was so fitting for Election day! Lynnette is a new friend of many that God has placed in my path at my NEW church! Many of you know God uprooted our family the end of last year and told us to "move on." I had a strong call in my spirit that God had NEW plans. However, it was  hard to believe it meant to leave what I had and not know where I was going. As director, teacher, counselor and friend, this was a difficult move. I valued every relationship in that season of ministry.

God said to "leave' and did not spare any other details!


Well today, I am living in obedience and still stuck in the middle of what I had and where I am going! The dream God gave me still beats inside me every day and I see Him shaping me in new ways. The friendships I have made in the past month have been very important to me. I value my first friendships because stepping into my first small group as a "new" facilitator not knowing a single person was a bit RISKY!

The  reality is God created us all for a significant and specific plan and I am most certain that God has predetermined my destiny and has directed me to this new place. So I give a big thank you to my new friendships.

Why is friendships in Christ so valuable?

Today's reading came from a short book in the bible called Philemon.

Paul wrote this short book and in the writings we see Paul help his friend Philemon do the right thing.

If you read the story you will realize that Philemon had some issues with a guy named Onesimus. The two of them had a falling out because Onesimus had done some wrong things to Phil!

Ever had a falling out with someone?
Do you know someone who has done wrong to a friend?
Can you help them?

Paul was the friend who encouraged both his friends to do the right thing. Paul instructed Onesimus to go back to Philemon ans tell him sorry for the things he had done. He also instructed Philemon to welcome Onesimus back with FORGIVENESS. What is forgiveness? Well, if you owed me 2 dollars from buying ice cream last week and I forgave what you owed me, you wouldn't owe me anything anymore. Forgiveness is removing what we owe. How could Philemon forgive all that Onesimus had done to him?

Sometimes we get stuck in the middle of the crisis and need a friend to nudge us in the right direction. Paul nudged Philemon to forgive a fellow believer and accept him back as a brother in Christ. Paul took the time also to commend Philemon for his spiritual growth while expressing the potential he sees for further growth in a specific area. Paul desired for his friends to experience the blessing and promises of God.

Godly friendships are very important. A Godly friendship is one in which your friend gets excited about making you successful in the purposes of God!

God designed the game of life for more then one player. We need friends to support us.

Are you stuck in the middle of a crisis and need a Godly friend?

Do you see a friend that may need a nudge in the right direction?

Philemon 1:8
"Therefore, though I might be very bold in Christ to command you what is fitting, yet for loves sake I rather appeal to you--"

Love often compels us to do that which cannot be explained by any other motive!

Forgive today my friend and live free from bitterness...

blessings,