Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Do Something


As I was doing my Bible reading for today, there were two passages that really stood out. Usually, I try to pick one scripture and write from it, but I couldn’t decide today. I just couldn’t pick one over the other. So, I decided to double up!

Is it not my family God has chosen? Yes, he has made an everlasting covenant with me. His agreement is arranged and guaranteed in every detail. He will ensure my safety and success. 2 Samuel 23:5 (NLT)

I like this scripture, there is something comforting and reassuring about it and I sure needed to hear from Him! We are getting back into the race of everyday life today. My kids have been off of school for the last 10 days, for Spring Break. We didn’t go anywhere wonderful or exciting, but we sure took advantage of the sleeping in and the lack of scheduled activities. We enjoyed movies, spontaneous “field trips” and quality family time. I will confess that I have been experiencing a touch of depression at the thought of leaving the cocoon of home to enter the fast paced world. I am dreading the running around from school to school and activity to activity. I am dreading the homework, paperwork and scheduling that I have avoided in the last week.
I read this scripture today though and it gave me reassurance that I am not alone. He chose me. It reminded me that God is concerned with every detail of my life. He knows that I am struggling to keep my head up and to support my family with the best that I have. I am human, not the superwoman that I would like to be. But, when I turn to Him and rely on Him to supply the things I do not possess on my own, I can become more! Joyce Meyer says, “let Him add the super to your human”. That, is the only way to become better and accomplish all that He has in store for today. It means turning to Him and confessing that I can not do it alone. When I try through my own power, I feel the pressure, stress and struggle. It is only through relying totally on Him that I can make it.

As if I didn’t already have enough pressure this morning, I read Luke 19:26 (NLT), to those who use well what they are given, even more will be given. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away.

God has blessed me and my family abundantly. I am so grateful to him for all that He has provided and for all that we have avoided thanks to His mercy. On days like today, when I feel like running back to bed and pulling the covers back over my head, I cannot. I want to use everything He has given to me and I want to use it wisely. I don’t want to waste any of my gifts, talents or time.

I will not be successful every day. But that is ok. The scripture says, those who do nothing. So, I am going to turn to Him for strength and wisdom and then I am going to try my best, with what He has given today.

Father God, I need you right in this moment. I do not possess the strength or wisdom to make it through this day. I need you. Please give me everything that I need to be successful according to Your Word. I want to shine Your light in a dark world, but I cannot do it alone. Please fill me with Your love, grace and mercy so that I can pass them along to everyone I am in contact with today. Thank you for sending Your Son Jesus so that I would have a perfect example! I want to be more like Him today and less like me. Amen.