Tuesday, July 28, 2009

HAVE YOU CHOSEN A WINDOW SEAT?


Before I left for vacation last week I read a passage of scripture about a young man named Eutychus. In Acts ch 20 7-13 .

The Name Eutychus meant"very Lucky" and "Fortunate."

Well you tell me if you think he was very lucky........ The story of Him simply states he showed up for the first day of the week church service, chose a window seat and sank into a deep sleep and lost his balance and fell three stories. Paul the guest speaker that was bringing an amazing message from God, had stopped speaking for a moment went down and fell on Eutychus embraced him and restored him.


I see this as a very UNFORTUNATE CIRCUMSTANCE WITH A FORTUNATE OUTCOME! I guess his name does mean LUCKY!


I really related to this story when I left on vacation. I was in the middle of a very unfortunate circumstance that God made Fortunate in the end!


The first day of our trip my son Ben woke up early and was suddenly very ILL. I knew deep in my mothering soul this was just not a flu or bad cold. He was crying in pain and vomiting uncontrollably. He could not even stand up, he had no balance. Within a few hours of trying everything a mom could do I called his Dr at home and they instructed me to go to ER immediately. Yes as a mom I was afraid, scared and hurt to see my son in agony. Remember we are on vacation and I had made plans for this day a long time ago! The plans for this Monday was to hit Lake Michigan and jump waves and possible hit some evening rides at Michigan Adventure! Now come on friends...... we all have plans when we go on vacation! I did not plan long trip to ER in the back seat of a car holding my son, praying he would not puke on me! LOL!

Hours later we returned home and he was diagnosed with VERTIGO. This is a type of dizziness where you feel that you and everything around you is moving or spinning. You have trouble balancing and it causes you to fall down and vomit. Strange, I know! But the good news is he was restored!

A great lesson came out of this for Ben and I. It related back to the young man Eutychus that fell out the window 3 stories! remember he lost his balance and fell.


What we learned was all our plans for tomorrows activities can be shattered by a thousand unknowns. Everyday we are all at RISK for things beyond our control. James 4:13-14 states "yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say"If the Lord will, we will live and do this or that."

If we choose a window seat in our walk and relationship with God, we will loose our balance, doze off and then in the midnight hour fall. A window seat is the most comfortable seat sometimes. You can stare off and get distracted on the things going on outside. When you get bored and doze off you will fall asleep. I believe this is what happened to this young man "Eutychus" God never intends for us to get bored in our relationship with Him. He has great plans for you and your children. What we learn and KNOW about God prepares us for our tomorrows.

If we choose the window seats in our relationship with God, when the BIG unknown happens in our life we can get dizzy, loose balance and Fall! We will all have midnight hours!
Without KNOWING GOD we will never have an adequate perspective on situations. My son may have been very dizzy that day but I did not loose my balance. THANKYOU JESUS!

Ephesians 2:7 The immeasurable riches of His grace and kindness are toward us"

He blesses and makes himself known to you when you pick a better seat then the window seat!
He will walk you thru your darkest hour and pick you up when you do fall!

I pray this whole circumstance helped my son and reminded him that God has great plans for Him!

oh by the way.....
Ben refused to ride the TILT a WHIRL at Michigan adventure! LOL

God is So Good,
Heather!
We still have a month of summer left! ENJOY