Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A TEACHER

Today's bible verse: Luke 6:40
A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like His teacher.


I was thrilled that this verse was part of my reading today because I am particularly  passionate with teaching the Word of God!

WE ARE ALL TEACHERS

Everything we do, with everything we don’t do, with everything we say, with everything we don’t say and with our beliefs, with our attitudes – all of, all of us TEACH!

When you hold a door for someone, you are being a teacher.  When you honk and yell obscenities while driving, you are being a teacher.  (BEEN THERE)
When you walk about with a furrowed brow and pursed lips, you are being a teacher.  When you smile at those who cross your path, you are being a teacher.

It all spreads.  It is all felt.  The energy that you are walking around with, whether you say anything to anyone or not, is felt.  What are you carrying around?  What are you spreading out into the world?   It is all within your control.

TODAYS BIBLE VERSE SHOULD: either excite you—or drive you to your knees! If you want to touch others you must first ask God to touch you! He desires to work through you AND TEACH, but He can’t until He works in you! He’ll use you as His instrument, but first He wants to sharpen and cleanse that instrument so it becomes a more effective tool in His hands! So, if you want to strengthen your teaching, do everything in your power to strengthen the teacher—yourself!

“You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life…” 2 Timothy 3:10 NIV

I’m what you would call a “Life Learner” I believe every day that I am alive and kicking there’s yet something new I can learn. 
So every day of my life I live to learn something new. And I’m not just a collector of information, BUT I LEARN SO I CAN SHARE WHAT I’VE LEARNED WITH OTHERS, THAT IN WHATEVER CAPACITY, THEY MAY BECOME BETTER! 
THAT’S THE HEARTBEAT OF ANY GENUINE TEACHER, NO MATTER WHAT THEY’RE TEACHING OR AT WHAT LEVEL THEY’RE TEACHING IT!

Jesus was the best teacher that existed. Let me share 3 points the illustrate a good teacher.

1. KNOW YOUR STUDENTS 

This takes COMMITMENT AND TIME. GOOD TEACHING HAS A PRICE TAG: YOU’VE GOT TO BE WILLING TO POUR OUT YOUR LIFE FOR OTHERS. People don’t care how much you know, UNTIL THEY FIRST KNOW HOW MUCH YOU CARE! 
Jesus showed compassion but taught a lesson in every situation.

2. BE WILLING TO BECOME VULNERABLE: 

IT’S THE BROKEN WHO BECOME MASTERS AT MENDING!
The ultimate master was Jesus. He was broken for our sakes. 
 DON’T BE AFRAID TO LET PEOPLE LEARN WHAT YOU’RE STRUGGLING WITH, AND WHAT YOU’VE STRUGGLED WITH THROUGH THE YEARS. Remember the master mended your cracks and trained you up in grace. 
 People tend to see us in terms of where we are NOW, rather than in light of WHERE WE’VE COME FROM AND WHAT WE’VE BEEN THROUGH. 

ALWAYS REMEMBER, FOR THE MOST PART, THEY DIDN’T SEE YOUR PROCESS.

 SO BE VULNERABLE, AND TELL THEM ABOUT THE GOD YOU KNOW PERSONALLY, AND WHAT HE’S PERSONALLY BROUGHT YOU THROUGH! IF YOU WANT TO GET THROUGH TO YOUR STUDENTS WITH REAL LIFE APPLICATION THEN TEACH MORE THAN THE TEXT, TELL THEM THE TESTIMONY THAT ACCOMPANIES IT! 
THAT’LL IMPACT THEM EVERY TIME! 

WANT TO BE A TEACHER WHO “GETS THROUGH”? THEN BE A TEACHER WHO SHARES WHAT YOU’VE BEEN THROUGH!

3.NEVER STOP GROWING 

THE TRUTH DOESN’T CHANGE, BUT YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF IT SHOULD! Peter writes: “…GROW In GRACE AND KNOWLEDGE…” (2 Peter 3:18 NIV).This requires the attitude that you haven’t yet “ARRIVED”. Those who apply this principle are always asking, “HOW CAN I IMPROVE? What do you want me to know Lord?

Jesus said, “A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher.” (Luke 6:40)

THE APOSTLE PAUL WAS near the end of his life, when most people are looking for rocking chairs, he wrote: “Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me…” (Philippians 3:13-14 NIV). PAUL WAS NEITHER IMPRESSED BY HIS SUCCESS NOR INTIMIDATED BY HIS FAILURES! 
HE LEARNED FROM HIS PAST, BUT HE REFUSED TO LIVE IN IT! His goal was always BEFORE him. He said, 
“I PRESS ON” Every day when Paul’s eyes opened I can imagine him saying, “It’s a new day full of possibilities; Lord help me to learn in every moment!” 

 God has given you the gift and opportunity to teach be aware of every opportunity!

Ask Him for fresh opportunities and never cease to learn everyday!

Blessings,